Bhringraj oil is an oil prepared from the leaves of the bhringraj herb. It is a traditional Ayurvedic herbal oil. The plant is widely distributed throughout Southeast Asia, including India, and is highly prized for its medical qualities. Bhringraj oil is thought to have a number of health advantages, including promoting hair growth and reducing dandruff and scalp irritation. When applied topically, it is known to have a cooling impact on the hair and scalp, while being a popular natural cure for hair care.
Benefits of using Bhringraj oil
Bhringraj oil has long been used in Ayurvedic medicine as a natural treatment for a variety of health and beauty issues, particularly related to hair and scalp care. Using bhringraj oil has the following advantages:
- Promotes hair growth: Bhringraj oil is full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that nourish the scalp and hair follicles and boosts healthy hair. The necessary nutrients penetrate the scalp and nourish the hair follicles. This supports healthy hair development and strengthens the hair.
- Prevents hair fall: The alkaloids and antioxidants present in bhringraj oil work to strengthen hair roots, lessen hair loss, and guard against hair breaking.
- Treats dandruff: Due to its anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal qualities, this oil helps reduce dandruff and soothe inflamed and itchy scalps.
- Improves hair texture: The oil is rich in vitamins that contribute to the enhancement of hair texture, making it shinier, softer, and smoother.
- Promotes blood circulation: Applying Bhringraj oil to the scalp promotes blood flow, which helps the hair follicles receive nutrients and oxygen, further encouraging hair growth.
- Delays premature greying: Bhringraj oil boosts melanin production, which slows down the onset of hair greying.
History of Bhringraj oil
Bhringraj oil has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for a very long time, possibly for thousands of years. The Indian native plant Eclipta alba, from which Bhringraj oil is extracted, has long been used to treat a variety of health and beauty issues, particularly those involving the hair and scalp.
Historically, Bhringraj oil has traditionally been used as a home cure for dandruff, premature greying, and hair loss. Additionally, it was employed as a relaxing and cooling oil to encourage sleep and reduce stress. With its long history of use and numerous potential health benefits, Bhringraj oil continues to be a valuable component of Ayurvedic medicine and natural hair care.
Components of Bhringraj oil
Bhringraj oil is full of a variety of nutrients and bioactive chemicals that have a number of positive effects on health as well as hair. Bhringraj oil contains a number of the following ingredients:
- Alkaloids: Bhringraj oil includes a number of alkaloids with anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial activities, including ecliptine, nicotine, and wedelolactone.
- Flavonoids: The flavonoids in bhringraj oil, such as apigenin, luteolin, and quercetin, have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects that help shield the scalp and hair follicles from damage caused by free radicals.
- Fatty acid: Fatty acids like linoleic and oleic acid found in bhringraj oil help nourish the hair and scalp and enhance the texture and manageability of hair.
- Vitamins and minerals: The vitamin E, iron, magnesium, and calcium included in bhringraj oil help to strengthen hair and promote hair growth.
Ingredients for Making Bhringraj Oil
If you’ve ever wondered how to make bhringraj oil and what all ingredients are needed for its formulation, we’ve mentioned the different ingredients that you’ll need to make bhringraj oil:
- Bhringraj leaves: To make bhringraj oil you will need between 1-2 cups of fresh or dried Bhringraj leaves. Bhringraj plants can be grown on your own or you can buy the leaves from a herbal shop.
- Carrier oil: Another ingredient is carrier oil that you’ll need to infuse the bhringraj leaves. Coconut oil, sesame oil, almond oil, and jojoba oil are some of the famous carrier oils. The amount of carrier oil depends on the amount of bhringraj oil you wish to make.
- Fenugreek seeds: Fenugreek seeds include proteins and nicotinic acid that helps to strengthen hair and prevent hair loss.
- Neem leaves: Neem leaves are rich in antibacterial and antifungal properties that help prevent scalp infections as well as dandruff, thus reducing hair loss.
How to Make Bhringraj Oil
It can take a lot of time and effort to make Bhringraj oil at home. Even though the process is easy to follow, it takes a lot of preparation, patience, and attention to detail. Here are some of the methods on how to make bhringraj oil:
Cold infusion method:
- Crush the Bhringraj leaves and add them to a container with carrier oil.
- Seal the jar and keep it somewhere cool and dark for at least a week.
- To help the oil absorb the beneficial qualities of the Bhringraj leaves, shake the jar once each day.
- After a week, run a cheesecloth through the oil
- Store the oil in a clean glass jar.
Hot infusion method:
- Crush the Bhringraj leaves and add them to a big pot with carrier oil for a hot infusion.
- Stirring occasionally, cook the mixture for about an hour on low heat.
- Remove the pot from heat and let it cool.
- Run the oil through a cheesecloth.
- Later, Store the oil in a clean glass jar.
Slow Cooker Method:
- Crush the bhringraj leaves and put them along with carrier oil in a slow cooker.
- For 8 to 12 hours, infuse the ingredients in a slow cooker on low heat.
- Next, strain the oil using a cheesecloth.
- Further, keep the oil in a clean glass jar
Adding Essential Oils to Bhringraj Oil
Adding essential oils to Bhringraj oil can enhance its benefits and make it even more effective for hair and scalp care.
Benefits of Adding Essential Oils
Here are some of the benefits of adding essential oils to Bhringraj oil:
- Promotes hair growth: Essential oils such as rosemary, lavender, and peppermint oil have been shown to promote hair growth by improving blood circulation and stimulating hair follicles.
- Reduces dandruff: Tea tree oil has anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce dandruff and scalp irritation.
- Conditions the hair: Essential oils such as lavender, rosemary, and ylang-ylang oil can help condition the hair and make it soft, shiny, and more manageable.
Best Essential Oils to Add to Bhringraj OilHere are some of the best essential oils that will help you regarding how to make bhringraj oil:
- Lavender oil: Due to its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial characteristics, lavender oil can help soothe irritated scalps, lessen dandruff, and encourage hair growth.
- Rosemary oil: Its high antioxidant content and antibacterial qualities can help to lessen dandruff, stop hair loss, and encourage hair growth.
- Tea tree oil: Due to its antibacterial characteristics, tea tree oil can help prevent hair loss, lessen dandruff, and encourage hair growth. Inflammation can be decreased and an itchy scalp can be soothed.
- Peppermint oil: Peppermint oil has a cooling effect that can help soothe an itchy scalp, reduce dandruff, and promote hair growth. It can also help improve blood circulation to the scalp.
How to Add Essential Oils to Bhringraj Oil
Adding essential oils to bhringraj oil is a simple step in how to make bhringraj oil. All you’ll need is a cup of bhringraj oil and 5-10 drops of essential oil.
- Start by making your Bhringraj oil.
- Once you have made your Bhringraj oil, add 5-10 drops of the chosen essential oil to the oil and mix well.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly to evenly distribute the oil into Bhringraj oil.
- Let the oil sit for a few hours or overnight so that the essential oil can blend with the Bhringraj oil.
- Your oil is ready for scalp massage or hair care.
How Long does Bhringraj Oil Last
Bhringraj oil's shelf life is based on the quality of the ingredients used, the extraction method, and the storage conditions. It typically has a shelf life of 6 to 12 months when kept correctly in a cool, dark location away from heat and sunshine.
However, the oil should be thrown away if it starts to smell bad or changes in colour or consistency. It's important to remember that using Bhringraj oil that is contaminated or expired may result in infections or irritation of the scalp.
How to Store Bhringraj Oil
Properly storing bhringraj oil can help preserve its quality and keep it fresh and effective for a longer period of time. Here are some storage methods that can help keep Bhringraj oil fresh:
- Keep in a cool, dark place: Bhringraj oil needs to be kept out of the heat and sunshine in a cold, dark location. The oil can become less effective and deteriorate when exposed to heat and light.
- Use an airtight container: Bhringraj oil should be stored in an airtight container to avoid exposure to air, which could lead to deterioration. To shield the oil from light and air, put it in a glass container of a dark colour with a tight-fitting lid.
- Keep the container dry: Keep the container dry to prevent bacteria or germs to grow that can contaminate the oil.
How to Use Bhringraj Oil on Hair
There are different ways to apply Bhringraj oil to your hair, depending on your hair type and the desired results. Here we’ll discuss the application methods, how often to use and the side effects of bhringraj oil.
Here are some common methods for using Bhringraj oil on hair:
- Topical application: Using your fingertips, apply a small amount of Bhringraj oil onto your scalp. For 5-10 minutes, gently massage the scalp in circular motions to help the oil penetrate into the scalp. The oil also helps to hydrate and shield the ends of your hair. After letting the oil sit on for at least an hour or overnight, gently rinse it off.
- Bhringraj oil shampoo: You can also use a shampoo that contains Bhringraj oil for added benefits. Wet your hair, apply the shampoo to your scalp, and massage gently with your fingertips. Leave the bhringraj shampoo on for a few minutes before rinsing it off with water. Follow up with a conditioner or hair serum.
Using a shampoo containing Bhringraj oil is also another great method of using bhringraj oil. Wet your hair and apply the bhringraj oil shampoo to your scalp and hair. Massage gently using your fingertips. Let the shampoo sit for a few minutes before rinsing it off with water. It is better to follow up with a conditioner or hair serum.
How Often to use Bhringraj Oil
The number of times you should apply bhringraj oil to your hair depends on your hair type, concern and the result you desire to achieve. Although for best results, it is advised to apply bhringraj oil atleast once a week. However, you can use it twice a week if you have dry or damaged hair. If you have hair concerns like hair fall or thinning of hair follicles, you may need to use more frequently like every other day. Make sure to not overuse the oil as it can make your scalp oily.
Side effects of Bhringraj oil
While Bhringraj oil is absolutely safe to use on hair, there are some potential side effects that you should be aware of. Here are some of the possible side effects of Bhringraj oil:
- Allergic reactions: Some people may develop an allergic reaction to Bhringraj oil, resulting in scalp itching and redness.
- Oily hair: If you use too much bhringraj oil or don't wash it off properly, it might make your hair greasy or oily. To avoid oily hair, apply the appropriate amount of oil and completely rinse it off.
Alternatives to Bhringraj Oil
While Bhringraj oil is a popular herbal oil for promoting hair growth, there are other alternatives that you can use as well. Here, we’ll learn about the different herbal oils and commercial hair products including bhringraj oil.
Other herbal oils for hair growth
There are various herbal oils proven to encourage hair growth that can be used in place of Bhringraj oil. Here are a few examples of other popular herbal oils:
- Amla oil: Made from the Indian gooseberry, amla oil is high in vitamin C, antioxidants, and minerals that can nourish and encourage hair development.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is a popular hair oil that is high in fatty acids and has the ability to penetrate the scalp to moisturize and strengthen hair.
- Rosemary oil: Rosemary oil has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities that can promote hair development and reduce scalp inflammation.
Commercial hair products containing Bhringraj oil
While making Bhringraj oil at home can be a time-consuming and labor-intensive process, there are many reputable companies that sell Bhringraj oil or hair products with bhringraj oil. Here are some of the best hair products that contain bhringraj oil:
Khadi Earth Bhringraj & Curry Leaf Intensive Hair Oil
This hair oil from Khadi Earth is a herbal hair oil with Bhringraj oil as its main ingredient. Bhringraj oil is well-known for its hair-nourishing effects, and it is known to increase hair growth, reduce hair fall, and enhance hair texture and gloss. Curry leaf extract, which is high in antioxidants can help nourish and strengthen hair. This hair oil treats various hair concerns like hair fall, dryness, and dandruff.
Khadi Earth Amla Reetha Bhringraj All Natural Shampoo
This shampoo is formulated with all-natural ingredients to nourish, cleanse and enhance your hair. The shampoo has bhringraj oil that has nourishing properties and it is believed to promote hair growth. Along with bhringraj oil, this shampoo also contains Amla and Reetha extracts that are rich in vitamin C and antioxidants and further help to remove dirt and impurities from the hair and scalp.
Supplements for hair growth
There are several supplements that are believed to support hair growth and improve hair health. Here are some of the most popular supplements for hair growth:
- Biotin: It is a B-vitamin that promotes hair growth and can increase hair thickness and strength.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D is necessary for hair follicle cycling and can help in hair growth and the prevention of hair loss.
- Iron: Iron is an important mineral for hair growth, and low iron levels in the body can cause hair loss.
Overall, bhringraj oil has a number of benefits for your hair as well as your health. It works to nourish, cleanse and promote the strengthening of hair. Now that you’ve learned how to make bhringraj oil, it should also be known that making thej oil requires extreme planning, patience and care. If you want bhringraj oil without having to go through the time-consuming process of making it, you can buy bhringraj oil products from Khadi Earth which offers all-natural and ayurvedic products. Moreover, buying it online assures that the oil is already prepared and infused with the beneficial properties of bhringraj leaves. So, if you’re looking for bhringraj products to improve your hair, Khadi Earth offers a range of natural, gentle and effective products for you!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Bhringraj oil safe for all hair types?
Bhringraj oil is generally considered safe for all hair types. But it is always advised to do a patch test before using any new hair or skin care product.
Can Bhringraj oil help with hair loss?
Yes, Bhringraj oil is known to help reduce hair loss and promote hair growth. This is because Bhringraj oil contains various ingredients such as alkaloids, flavonoids, and steroids that have hair-nourishing qualities.
How long does it take to see results from using Bhringraj oil?
It depends on various factors including your hair type, hair concern, and how often you use the oil. It can take several weeks or even a few months to see noticeable improvements in your hair.
Can Bhringraj oil be used for other purposes besides hair growth?
Yes, Bhringraj oil is also known to improve hair texture, prevent hair breakage and split ends, and reduce hair fall. It also soothes scalp irritation and itchiness.